Saturday, July 20, 2019

Crash-Course, No. 4: Celebrating PDX Pop Now!

Eh, they do pretty well sometimes.
With PDX Pop Now! 2019 happening over the weekend, I threw together this wee tribute to Portland, Oregon’s DIY, highly-affordable (it’s free) outdoor music festival. It’s been going on since 2004, it’s always been all-ages, and some of the bigger local names have given songs to the compilations that fund the festival each year.

I have far from a perfect record of attendance – think I’ve been to just three of ‘em, most recently in 2016 – but it’s usually fun. The current location isn’t the best - the organizers center it under the Hawthorne Bridge, with North and South stages on each side – and, unless they’ve got tarps this year, it’s largely uncovered. The crowds have been sparse during the day every time I’ve gone, which hurts the atmospherics a bit (it has looked downright desolate here and there), but the crowd fills in nicely when the sun goes down; it feels like a solid, regular music festival starting right after dinner.

The first year I went – this would have been 2006(?) – they held it at least partially at an indoor venue (think it was Loveland the year I went) and, if I could have one wish, they’d go back to that, but I get it at the same time.

Anyway, the coolest thing about PDX Pop Now! is the range of artists you can hear. An entire day spent there almost guarantees exposing yourself to something you normally wouldn’t listen to and that’s the festival’s strength. You get that on the compilations too – something that comes through in the 50 songs selected down below (and included on the Spotify playlist I’m posting with this). Last, but definitely not least, here’s information on where to find and, crucially, where to buy the compilations – and that gets you access to all of them. That helps with the funding for what is a goddamn cool event, however you take it in.

Some of your bigger local artists have contributed songs to past compilations and some of them (but not many) show up on the playlist I compiled. One thing I noticed as I was getting them onto the Spotify, a lot of the songs submitted for the compilations aren't the best-known works by many of these artists. In many cases, that happened because I'm pulling from older compilations (as old as 2005), and they've put out more, sometimes better work since that time. Best case, people can use the list and links below as a first step for exploring the local music scene. That's the goal here, and god knows I'll be doing that going forward. Just this post gives you/me about 47-48 bands/artists to work with, so have it.

So, if you’re looking for something to do tonight or tomorrow, and that doesn’t cost much, it’s pretty fun. And you can take trips to My Father’s Place to get out of the sun…maybe get a little tight, etc. That’s all the talking I’m going to do. As cruel experience has taught me, commenting on 50 songs gets out of hand fast. Still, enjoy the songs; I linked to every one of them I could find…hey, only missed one. They're listed in (roughly) chronological order for now, but I'll be scrambling the Spotify playlist in the days ahead to see if I can't make it fit together a bit more smoothly.

Viva Voce – “Alive with Pleasure
The Taxpayers - “Black Batons
Trio Subtonic – “Bombast” (ooh, extended play edit!)
Lovers – “Boxer
STRFKR – “Boy Toy
Pat MacDonald – “The Harder They Come
Caleb Klauder – “Can I Go Home With You
Lightheaded – "Superstar
Sandpeople – “Hate Aside
Beyoung, Empire, Lost Poet – “Hip Hop Is Breathing
Boy Eats Drum Machine – “Hoop & Wire
The Mint Chicks – “Hot on Your Heels
Jared Mees & The Grown Children – “The Tallest Building in Hell
The Minders – “I’m So Low
Ravishers – “Keep You Around
Cool Nutz – “Monster Up
Aed + Quiet Countries – “Moving Day
Langhorn Slim & The Law – “Way We Move
Langhorn Slim & The Law – “Past Lives
Point Juncture, WA – “Pearl of the Quarter
The Blow – “Pile of Gold
Dirty Mittens – “The Dock
MY-G, Mikah 9 – “The Untold Story
Forbidden Friends – “Tiny Hands
Dolorean – “The Destruction
The Domestics – “It Came to Me
Gold Casio – “Colors on the Wall
LEO – “Stopping to Start” (shit. can't find it.)
Barra Brown – “Rose
Brownish Black – “You Can Taste It
Dogheart – “Night Jewels
Barna Howard – “Indiana Rose
Moon By You – “Effigies
Minden – “Saint
New Move – “When Did We Stop
Laura Palmer’s Death Parade – “Dawgslut
Months – “Cannibal
Andrew Endres Collective – “Consciousness
Tribe Mars – “Ode to Phobos
The Minders – “Boiling the Ocean
Poison Beaches – “I Am the Sun
Wave Action – “Lost Translation
Blossom – “Rhyme
Myke Bogan – “Cold Sushi
Mini Blinds – “Witch Girl
Rodetta – “Spell
Roselit Bone – “Dreamless Sleep
Donte Thomas – “Summer Nights
Amanda Richards & The Good Long Whiles – “Close to Me
Rocket 3 – “I See
Illmac & Goldini Bagwell (ft. Little Warrior) – “Last one

No comments:

Post a Comment